The Rise of Facebook Reviews
Since being founded in 2004, Facebook has become an all-in-one social media platform designed to keep users engaged for as many hours as possible.
It’s also a top online destination for businesses hoping to connect with consumers, respond to customer queries and concerns, share news and announcements, set up Calls to Action that drive engagement, and build buzz through “likes,” comments, and shares.
Oh, and Facebook has also become one of the fastest-growing platform for online reviews.
- Our team at ReviewTrackers actually analyzed online reviews of 250 restaurants over a 6-month period, and we noticed an interesting trend in review growth: among major restaurant review sites (including Yelp, Google, TripAdvisor, Zomato, and Foursquare), Facebook reflected the highest growth rate in reviews, with new reviews coming in at a pace that’s 4 times faster than on other restaurant review sites.
Here are a few more interesting stats on Facebook, as well as the impact that a Facebook review has on consumer behavior and brand reputation:
- On average, Facebook users are spending a little over 15 hours each week engaging either passively or actively on the social network.
- According to a study, 80 percent of consumers are more likely to purchase from local businesses with positive reviews on their Facebook Page.
- In a 2014 survey of over 1,000 consumers in the US, Facebook was the preferred site for 24.5 percent of consumers looking to post online reviews of local businesses. It outranked Yelp (22.3 percent) and was second only to Google (31 percent).
- Approximately 66 percent of consumers are most likely to share on Facebook their thoughts, experiences, and opinions on their purchases (via a Facebook review or comment); meanwhile, after purchasing, one-third will connect or engage with a brand on Facebook (while only 2 in 10 will connect via the brand’s website or community).
As it evolves, Facebook’s relevance for brand presence increases, and businesses – particularly brick-and-mortars – need to be proactive in engaging their customers.
Introducing Facebook Reviews
Facebook Reviews is a feature that can be enabled for Facebook business pages with a location. This means that, in order to enable customers to post reviews on your business’ Facebook profile, you must first add your physical address to your page.
Only people with Facebook accounts can write a Facebook review or rate your business. They’re prompted with the question, “What do you think about this place?” Users can leave a star rating without having to write a review, and these ratings also factor into your overall rating.
If a business is already associated with and registered to a local address, it is very likely that the review and rating feature has automatically been turned on. It should be easy to spot. It is located at the top of the page, below the banner photo and usually next to the box that indicates the number of likes attributed to a business. It can also be found by clicking on the Facebook page’s Reviews tab.
Set up Facebook Reviews and Ratings for Your Page
If a local business page does not appear to have this feature and you, as the business owner, want to turn it on, the process is quite simple. First, make sure your business Facebook page is set up for Local Business; secondly, make sure you enter your address. Finally, select a category and save. This should activate the ability for your customers to leave a review.
- Go to Settings located at the top of your page.
- Click Page Info and choose Local Business as your Facebook Page category. (The Review feature isn’t yet available for, say, pages for singers or actors or authors.)
- You’ll then be given an option to make your business category more specific: restaurant, café, hospital or healthcare facility, hotel, etc.
- Click Save changes.
- Next, you have to add your business’ physical address or location. Again, go to Settings and click Page Info.
- Click Address and enter the information required, then tick the box next to Show map, check-ins, and star ratings.
- Click Save changes.
“Can I respond to a Facebook review?”
As the Facebook Page owner or administrator, you can show customers that you value their customer feedback by responding to their reviews.
This being Facebook, you can simply “like” a review that’s been posted on your Page. But we recommend that you also take the time to thank those who have left reviews of your business (positive and negative). An option to respond to reviews will be available on Pages that have enabled the Review feature, and it’s similar to how you can comment on page posts on Facebook.
“Can I delete a Facebook review?”
Currently, you can’t delete individual reviews off your Facebook page. The only option you have is to disable the review feature by completely taking your address off your business page.
If you must must absolutely remove the reviews button/tab, the steps are as follows:
- Head to Admin Panel
- Click on Edit Page
- Click on Edit Settings
- Go to Page Info
- Remove Your Address
The disadvantage in taking this action is that it will also remove any and all positive reviews the business might have accumulated throughout the years. Another problem is that this action will also remove from the Facebook Page the business’ association with a physical address.
ReviewTrackers Integration with Facebook Reviews
By monitoring and responding to your Facebook reviews regularly, you can stay on top of your business reputation, effectively manage customer feedback, and drive engagement levels with consumers.
Why is it important for your business to respond to reviews?
- According to Cornell University research, revenue increases as the number of your responses to reviews increases.
- Our own research also found that 51.7 percent of customers who post online reviews or feedback expect a response in 7 days or less.
- And third-party research has shown that responding to more than 50 percent of your reviews can increase your Net Promoter Score (NPS) by an average of 1.4 points.
With ReviewTrackers’ Facebook integration, you will have the ability to monitor, collect, and respond to Facebook reviews from within your ReviewTrackers dashboard. And, thanks to the built-in capability for requesting reviews in-app, you can also collect Facebook reviews in just minutes!
As you respond to reviews from the most popular review sites directly from the ReviewTrackers app, remember that you can also manage “Response” status and workflow, ensuring every review gets a prompt response.