Download 43 free review response templates for negative and positive reviewsGet the templates
Why Remove Reviews from Facebook?
Facebook might have been created for users to be able to show their friends cute photos of dogs and cats, or share funny Anchorman and crying Michael Jordan memes.
But if you’re using Facebook for business, the social network is, more seriously, a platform for connecting and engaging with potential and existing customers.
Sometimes, though, opening your business up to enable interactions with customers on Facebook (like getting comments and Facebook Recommendations and reviews) can leave you feeling vulnerable. Certainly, some will leave negative reviews. Some will post unfairly hurtful comments.
In such cases, you need to address the feedback head-on and respond to what your customers are saying on Facebook. But when diplomacy fails, and you find yourself wishing that those nasty Facebook reviews and Recommendations simply vanished, this article is for you.
How to delete a review on Facebook?
Let’s start with a spoiler alert: you can’t delete a review on Facebook. At least not individual reviews. You can’t simply delete Facebook reviews and Recommendations the way you can hide or delete, say, unwanted comments on your Page or an unflattering selfie you accidentally uploaded.
Here’s what you can do: report the review or Recommendation to be removed from your Facebook business Page.
You can report Recommendations and reviews that do not follow Facebook’s Community Standards or don’t focus on the products and services offered by your business. After you submit a report, Facebook will review it and may remove Facebook reviews and Recommendations that don’t follow the site’s standards.
To report a Recommendation or review:
- Go to the Recommendation and click the 3 dots in the top right to display more options.
- Select “Report post.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions and provide the reason why you don’t like the review or Recommendation.
The other course of action you can take to remove a bad review on Facebook is to turn off Recommendations altogether.
How to turn off Facebook reviews and Recommendations
You can disable Recommendations in your Page settings section.
- Click Settings at the top of your Page.
- Click Templates and Tabs on the left side of your Settings page.
- Look for Reviews or Recommendations, click Settings right next to it, then toggle the On/Off tab to turn reviews and Recommendations off.
Keep in mind that turning Recommendations off will disable Recommendations and remove the ratings and Recommendations from your Page.
How important are Facebook reviews and Recommendations?
We saw it fit to write this guide given the increasing impact that Facebook reviews and Recommendations have on consumers’ purchase behavior.
As a social network that also happens to have the ability to connect businesses with consumers, Facebook can influence users throughout the different stages of purchase: awareness, consideration, and post-purchase.
According to the Social Recommendations Index by advocacy activation company Social Media Link:
- Awareness: 55 percent of consumers consider Facebook (along with retail websites) as the most common place to learn about new brands and products.
- Consideration: 71 percent say that they “somewhat” or “completely” trust the content they see on Facebook, slightly more than those who say they trust retail websites (68 percent) and online communities for product / service reviews (66 percent).
- Post-purchase: Approximately 66 percent of consumers are most likely to share on Facebook their thoughts, experiences, and opinions on their purchases; meanwhile, after purchasing, one-third will connect or engage with a brand on Facebook (while only 2 in 10 will connect via the brand’s website or community).
Tips on managing Facebook reviews and Recommendations
If reporting or removing a review from Facebook is not an option for you, remember that you can apply best practices in responding to reviews written by your customers:
Apologize and take ownership. An apology is often the best way to start when responding to a negative review because it defuses the situation. If your company makes a mistake, immediately own up to it in the response, but avoid apologizing multiple times.
Take serious issues offline. If there are serious issues, take the conversation offline to avoid discussing difficult topics publicly.
Follow company and brand guidelines. Be sure you know your company’s social media and brand guidelines so that you use the right terminology in your response. This helps establish a professional tone.
Resolve specific issues. Address any specific issues raised in the review. Sometimes positive comments and five-star ratings also include points of concern. Find out about the customer’s experience and communicate any changes or improvements made as a result of their customer feedback.
Be prompt. Avoid delays in responding. The sooner you can get back to your customer, the greater your chances of improving the situation. Show appreciation. Regardless of the rating the customer gave, say “thank you.” Showing your appreciation of customer feedback minimizes the impact of negative comments and reinforces positive sentiment in your good reviews.