The Google My Business app and platform (GMB) is an essential tool for updating your business information on Google, building your online presence, and engaging with existing and potential customers.
For those wondering, “How do I access my Google business account?,” GMB’s full set of features are available on the desktop version. However, busy users can also access and manage their GMB accounts on the go using the Google My Business app for iOS and Android.
How to Set Up Your Google My Business App
Before you start using the GMB app, you must first either claim or create your business listing on Google using the desktop version of GMB. Take the necessary steps to ask, “How do I verify my business on Google?”
How to Use the Google My Business App
Once logged in, you’ll be taken to the Home page of the app. Scrolling through the app reveals a list of actions you can take to manage your business information on Google, optimize your listing, and attract new customers.
Meanwhile, tapping the More tab at the bottom of the GMB app shows you options for setting up your notifications, managing users of the account, getting help and support, and customizing the settings. You can also use the More tab to switch between multiple Google My Business accounts.
Additionally, you can use the More tab to get notified of new activity on your Google business listing. To do so:
- Simply tap Settings from the More popup menu, then tap Notifications, to set up custom alerts for activities that matter the most to you.
- Choose the types of alerts you want to receive on your device. The GMB app can send notifications for customer reviews, bookings, payments, photos, listing health, insights, product updates, and posts.
Google My Business App: Features
With the Google My Business mobile app, you can perform essential tasks related to managing your business information on Google.
The tabs at the bottom of the screen serve as the main way to navigate the features of the Google My Business app. Let’s take a look at some of the features available to you.
How to Update Your Profile Using the GMB App
The Profile tab is the place where you’ll add or edit any listing information. Any changes made in this section appear on both Google Search and Maps, which should make managing your listing a bit easier.
You can also use the Profile tab to share offers and announcements, upload and manage Google business photos, and review recent edits made to your business on Google.
Update Your Business Name, Address, and Hours
Your listing will rank higher in search results if you submit accurate, up-to-date, and consistent business information, which can help your local SEO strategy. To add or edit your business info:
- Tap the Profile tab on the bottom of the GMB app. Then tap Overview.
- To update your business location as it appears on Google Maps, tap the Edit icon (pencil icon) on the lower right portion.
- To edit or update your business name, business categories, address, service area, phone number, business description, website, and hours of operation, tap the corresponding Edit icons to the right of each information type.
Share Content for People Who Find You on Google Search
Your Google business listing also acts as a kind of content feed where you can create and post up-to-the-minute content for your audience.
Content (“posts”) can be in the form of text, videos, or photos, which customers will see when they find your business listing on Google. To create a post:
- Under the Profile tab on your GMB app, tap Posts. Then tap “Create a post.” Alternatively, you can tap the blue and white + icon on the lower right side of the app.
- When you start to create a post, the GMB app will display the photo albums on your device. This allows you to select photos or videos that you’d like to accompany your post.
- If you prefer to create a post without photos or videos, simple tap Skip at the top right.
- Write your post in the corresponding text box. You also have the option to choose the post type (“What’s New,” “Event,” “Offer,” or “Welcome Offer”). To make your posts more actionable, add a button, which lets you link your post to a landing page.
- Tap Preview or Publish.
How to Engage with Customers Using the GMB App
Any information or interaction with customers can be found on the appropriately-named Customers tab.
You can use this section to learn how to respond to Google reviews, as well as reply to messages sent by customers and prospects. You can also use the Customers tab to post special offers to those who follow your GMB profile.
Manage Your Google Reviews
The Google My Business app is useful for tracking and responding to online reviews on the go. Here’s how:
- Tap the Customers tab and tap Reviews.
- The Reviews page shows you all customer reviews posted on your Google business listing, organized by date.
- Each individual review includes an option for either responding to the review or editing a previously submitted response.
How to Get Insights Using the GMB App
You can use the Home tab on your Google My Business mobile app to check out custom insights on where and how many people are searching for you.
Many customers find businesses on Google Search and Maps. To understand how your customers search for your business and what they do once they find your listing, tap the “View report” option found in the Home tab.
On the Report page, you’ll be able to see:
- How customers search for your business
- What search queries (keywords) were used to find your business
- Where customers view your business on Google (Search or Maps)
- The most common actions customers take on your listing
- The geographical areas from where customers request directions to your business
- When and how many times customers call your business
- The number of times your photos have been viewed
Manage Your Listing On the Go with the Google My Business Mobile App
A well-managed listing on Google My Business can foster significant improvements in local search performance. If you’re rarely at your desk and always on the go, you can use the Google My Business app to update your business information, respond to reviews, post relevant content, engage with your audience, and gather actionable insights about the people searching for and viewing your business listing on Google.