If you’re managing a hotel with eco-friendly policies and a commitment to sustainability, here’s a great way to expand your presence and reach out to potential guests: GreenLeaders.
GreenLeaders is a program launched by travel review site TripAdvisor to showcase eco-friendly hotels and B&Bs that are committed to green practices like recycling, towel and linen reuse, local and organic food, smart lighting, and electric car charging stations, among many others. GreenLeaders is managed by TripAdvisor in partnership with Energy Star, the US Green Building Council, and the United Nations Environment Programme.
“With so many travelers placing an importance on the eco-friendly practices of the places they visit, hotel and B&B owners stand to gain a real competitive edge by promoting their environmentally friendly practices,” said Jenny Rushmore, director of responsible travel at TripAdvisor. “Our TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program will enable businesses managing their environmental footprint to highlight their commitment to millions of travelers around the world, at no expense to their business.”
GreenLeaders was first introduced in 2013; it has continued to expand to other countries and continents, including Canada, UK, the rest of Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Australia and New Zealand. Currently, around 8,000 hotels are participating in TripAdvisor’s GreenLeaders program.
A new report by the Guardian describes how the program works. “(GreenLeaders) allows hotels to self-report their work on sustainability,” the report reads. “The information they provide is then validated by random or investigative audits, as well as by TripAdvisor’s network of reviewers who are asked to point out any discrepancies noticed during their stay.”
TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Program
As an environment-conscious hotel or hospitality exec, your business can enjoy real benefits from joining GreenLeaders. You can apply for a GreenLeader status for free. Here are some details you need to know:
- Hotels and properties are tiered between Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum awards, which are then shown on your TripAdvisor business listing. (Here’s how to claim your listing on the travel reviews site.)
- Once you apply, TripAdvisor will assess your hotel or property using a set of environmental criteria, covering practices such as linen and towel reuse, recycling and waste management, use of solar panels and electric charging stations, and even local or organic food served in the restaurant menu. The more green practices you have in place, the higher the GreenLeaders tier you can achieve.
- With GreenLeaders status, your hotel shows up as part of TripAdvisor users’ green hotels search function. Details of your hotel’s environmental practices will also be displayed. You can also use the TripAdvisor GreenLeaders badge on your website, as well as a framed certificate that can be displayed in your property.
- Don’t lie about your application in an effort to boost your online reputation. If you submit a fraudulent GreenLeaders application and lied about your property’s environmental practices, TripAdvisor will slap a red penalty badge on your listing. (Check out: “Giving Yourself 5 Stars? The Cons of Faking Your Online Reviews”)
- To apply, visit http://green.tripadvisor.com/.
“Travelers want to be ‘green’ and contribute to the conservation and preservation of the environment,” said Denise Naguib, VP of sustainability and supplier diversity for Marriott International, one of the international hotel brands participating in GreenLeaders. “This tool will help them easily plan and book their next eco-friendly trip.”
(Image credit: TripAdvisor)